An iron and steelworks was established in Consett in 1864 by the Consett Iron Company Limited and over the next 100 years Consett became one of the world’s most prominent steel making towns.
The Consett Iron Company was absorbed into British Steel in 1967 and the steel works closed in 1980 with the loss of around 3,500 jobs.
As a result, the steel works site was transferred from the government to the local authority (at that time Derwentside District Council) and a dowry grant payment (Derelict Land Grant) paid to the Council to demolish and remediate the site. Project Genesis was created by the Council and following a procurement exercise Dysart Developments Limited were selected as the private sector partner for the joint venture.
In the late 80’s the Project Genesis Trust (PGT) a registered charity was formed and who has responsibility for the regeneration of the Consett steelworks site and the reinvestment of funds from the development in the provision of environmental, recreational and social benefits of local people.
The slideshow below shows just how dominant the Steel Works site in Consett was.